This week Growing Weisser has the awesome privilege of introducing you, our followers, to the extremely talented graphic designer who created all the “Growing Weisser” images you see on our website. Becca Thongkham is a freelance designer that our Bekah had the honor of befriending 2 years ago. Becca describes their relationship as such, “I met Bekah at SGU in Grenada, where both our husbands attend medical school. We quickly became friends as we found ourselves going to church together, attending women’s Bible study together, and visiting the local children’s home every week. We also have a few things in common like living in California, a love for crafts and cooking, and husbands who love In ‘n Out!”
Today we will get to know a bit about Becca- where she grew up, her education and the beginning of her passion for design.
Becca’s story begins…” I grew up in the prairielands of Canada, where I spent my childhood climbing trees and reading books (often reading books in trees!). I was never short on imagination as a child, and books were my fuel. My family eventually moved to Mesa, Arizona, where I started finding mediums to translate my imagination into reality. In school, I took every art class I could get into – drawing, pottery, architecture, photography. Eventually, I majored in Architecture in college, with a minor in Design. I loved studying architecture, but realized it wasn’t quite right for me. I found that the reality of architecture consists a lot more of technical details and building codes instead of the poetry and artistry that I had loved about it in the first place.”
Her education continues…”I ended up getting my Master’s in Elementary Education, and thought that maybe I could teach instead. After a few years in education, I realized my passion still lay in design. Since then, my husband (whom I met in high school) and I moved to Grenada, an island in the Caribbean (we’ve just moved back recently!), I stopped working full-time, and I started doing freelance graphic design and volunteer design work for different people, companies, and organizations.”
Here are some fun facts about Becca:
- Life Motto –Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly.
- Favorite food –Cheese (aged gouda)
- Favorite dessert –Honestly, not really a dessert person. :\ Sorry! I’d take cheese over sweets any day (though I have to say that Bekah has ALMOST made a dessert lover out of me with all her delicious baking!)!
- Favorite Disney character-Belle
- One thing you can’t live without –Vietnamese food
- Favorite book –A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle
- One bucket list item-To visit Japan!
- Favorite Bible verse-2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
P.S. If you haven’t noticed, aside from design, my other passion is food! In fact, my sister and I also have a food blog (http://www.meatlovessalt.com/) that we work on together. And sometimes, my love for food and design collide in awesome ways like these pho (Vietnamese noodles) art prints in my shop!
Here are a few special Grenadian dishes that are on Becca’s blog!
Oil Down: Grenada’s National Dish
Check back in tomorrow to learn more about Becca and Lavender’s Blue Design! You will also be able to enter the Lavender’s Blue Design giveaway to win some of Becca’s amazing work!